Sunday, January 1, 2012

Verse #1

Happy New Year! I'm excited to memorize scripture with you over this next year. Nothing has impacted my walk with Christ more than His word (okay and maybe a whole lot of prayer). Truly, His word has both conformed me and comforted me. I aim for it to be the lens through which I view life, reminding me that His wisdom is beyond my wisdom. I must constantly surrender my thoughts and my feelings to His word and His plan for me. And it has never.let.me.down.

I am so grateful for the gift of His word and thankful for be a part of a redemption story much bigger than I can imagine!

So in joy and excitement, let's share our first memory verse of 2012 with one another!

1. What is your verse?

2. Why did you choose it?

3. What are 3 words that describe 2011?

4. What is one thing you will do in 2012 to be intentional about growing in Christ?

13 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

1. Job36:15-16 "But those who suffer he delivers in their suffering,he speaks to them in their affliction. He is wooing you from the jaws of destress to a spacious place free from restriction,to the comfort of your table laden with choice food."

2. I chose this verse for those who suffer right now. He gives us hope. He gives us strength to endure what may come to us. He delivers us.

3. 3 words to describe 2011...SEARCHING...FINDING...STAYING...

Melissa Danisi said...

1. "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matt 5:3)

2. I'm going to study the Sermon on the Mount over the next month or so, and this is the first beatitude. This is the place we must start with Christ . . . poor in spirit. At then end of "us" and our way of life, to be filled with HIM and His kind of life.

3. Confusing, deepening, changing

4. Continuing to memorize scripture with all of you and remaining in Academy.

Kathleen said...

1. Psalm 105:4 Seek the LORD and His strength; seek His face continually.

2. I need to be reminded to pursue HIM and HIS righteousness continually. I can get distracted easily; this verse reminds me to seek His face.

3. Uncomfortable. Courage. Surrender.

4. I am meeting with a friend on Tuesday mornings for prayer, fellowship and accountability. Together, we are reading through the Bible in a year.

Unknown said...

1. Proverbs 3:3 - "Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you; bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart."

2. I chose this because the words "steadfast love" and "faithfulness" are the two things I want to strive to stay strong in, and the two things that the Lord is made up of. I need to remember this at this time in my life. This is actually the headline script for my blog this year as well. It says it all.

3. Three words that describe 2011: heartbreaking, unsteady, defining.

4. I have created a blog of my daily journey with the Lord in 2012. This will keep me daily in His Word, daily opening my heart to what He wants to tell me, and daily leaning upon His understanding instead of my own.

(I had to delete and re-post mine because I found an error in my post! See, daily reminders of just how human we are!).

Mandy said...

1. "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

2. I chose this verse because I want to be reminded for this new year that whatever I do, it must be in the name of Jesus.

3. exciting, change, & love

4. I will be intentional about dedicating time to serving Him.

Yvonne said...

1. Psalm 18:1-2 I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock in whom I take refuge.

2. 2012 is a year devoted to studying, meditating, and memorizing Psalm 18. There are some life verses of mine tucked in this chapter and sense the Lord would have me sit in it for the year. I want to know the LORD, the I AM more and more with each day. I am desperate for Him.

3. Firsts, Lasts, Resting

4. I am in the midst of watching Passion 2012, 45,000 college students are gathered in Georgia to lift the name of Jesus high and DO something in the Kingdom of God. Today there are 27 million slaves around the world, more than any other time in history....I sense the Lord stirring things in me, so I am listening and waiting to see exactly what He would have me to do.

Tami Anderson said...

Psalm 121:1-2
"I lift up my eyes to the hills, From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."

I chose this verse as a reminder that God is faithful to help me, when I pray. He is in total control of everything because He made heaven and earth, so I can trust him.

challenging,life-changing, forgiving

I will continue to memorize Scripture, and have a daily quiet time. I will pray daily asking for His wisdom, and for His will to be done in my life.

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten my 4th answer and that would be to go to God in prayer before taking that first sip of coffee/tea and before getting on the internet. I want Him to be first in everything I do,say,think and feel. I want to meditate about Him all during the day. I want to walk with Him and He with me. I want my desire for Him to increase even more. I crave to know Him better.

Kathleen said...

Thank you for the reminder, Betty, to go to Him in prayer FIRST thing. Your comments are reminding me of the second part of my verse this month: "seek Him continually."

Kathleen

Katy Merrill said...

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Philippians 4:6.

Hey, girls! Sorry I am so late to post! I love this verse because It helps me to keep my perspective right. My hubby and I just moved to a new town, and the unknown scares me. I have no idea what I am going to do with my time. I keep looking into different school and career options but none of them are panning out as I have hoped. So this verse is important to me because I need to be be anxious about any of it, but give it to God. I know He has a wonderful plan.
Love, new beginnings, goodbyes
I definatly want to keep this scripture memorization group a priority in 2012 because I like the accountability. We have found a new church in Modesto, and want to get plugged in soon. :)

Yvonne said...

Katy, what church did you find?

Betty, what a great thing to do at the beginning of the day! Lord, be my first thought and give me a heart that surrenders to you every morning!

Tami, I feel honored to have witnessed the Lord changing your life and gracing you w faith to believe Him!

Mandy, in what ways has the Lord impassioned your heart to serve Him?

Debbie, we are interceding on your behalf...believing the Lord to show us His glory and work mightily in you!

Kathleen, wow, powerful verse...seek His face continually.

Melissa, what have you learned about being poor in spirit?

I love you!

Amber Donat said...

1) "Surely God is my salvation; I will trust him and not be afraid." Isiah 12:2
2) Well, during the time I had been having a lot of nightmares and been waking up around 3 and not being able to sleep till 6ish so I would read my bible and this verse came along and I just really liked it.
3) I don't really remember 2011, even though it just happened....sorry.
4) I want to be on time with my postings! or at least get it done within that month. :)