Monday, August 1, 2011

Memory Verse #15

Good Morning! I am sitting at the Grind, a local coffee shop, and thinking of you. August 1st! How are you all doing being in the Word this summer and soaking up the LORD? He is worthy of praise, isn't He!

I felt so blessed to meet Mandy, one of us on our Memory Team, this weekend at a wedding. There is an instant bond we have because we have Christ. I am thankful for each of you today!

If you are memorizing with Living Proof Ministries, you can click on the title of this post and it will direct you to their site.

Here we go-in the comment section let's answer the following:

1. What is your verse for these two weeks?
2. Why did you choose the verse?
3. Is there a lie that you are believing about yourself, others, or the Lord, and you need some Truth to replace the lie? What is it? Would you like someone from our Team to help you find Truth to help in the process of trusting the Lord in our thoughts? (This might be a verse you want to hide in your heart, if you don't have a verse yet :) )
This question came to mind, because Ashlyn, my 18 year old daughter messaged me from camp, where she is working for the next three weeks and shared two lies she is believing and asked me to help her find Scripture to combat the lie with what is true. Scripture came flooding into my mind. His Word is powerful and for every single day of our lives! I felt in awe of the Lord in her, that she would not be ok with living in the lie, but would actually want to live in the power and freedom of Christ. I sure had no idea how to do that at 18.

I am grateful for each of you! Let's not give up!!! Let's get back on the horse! We can do this! The Lord is about transforming each of us for His glory!

I love you.

10 comments:

Melissa Danisi said...

1. "For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21)

2. I know it seems like an easy verse to memorize . . . more than hiding it in my heart, can I say this is true of my life? Can I really say to "live is Christ". Is HE what I am pursuing, grasping after, running towards, living for? So more than memory, is this true of me?

3. A lie I probably most often believe is that I'm insufficient. To lead others, to speak truth, etc. Well, I guess in a way it's true because I am insufficient and that's the intent. That my sufficiency is in Christ. Often when I meet with women, after the conversation, the lie whispered in my ear is "Who are you? Who are you to offer advice or counsel?" My first instinct is insecurity I said the wrong thing or fear that I was too harsh. I try to take that thought captive and remember "I am nobody . . . but in Christ I'm somebody!" So I think it's good to know I'm sufficient as long as I remember the whole truth "He is sufficient and I am sufficient in Him".

Tami Anderson said...

Tami Anderson said...
1. "The Lord is near to the broken-hearted and saves the crushed in spirit. Many are the afflictions of the righteous, but the Lord delivers him out of them all." (Psalm 34:18-19)

2. I am memorizing this verse because I have had some health problems this past year that at times have caused me to be brokenhearted and crushed in spirit. I need this verse to help remind me that the Lord is near and is my deliverer.

3. A lie that I often believe is that I need the approval of certain people to feel good about myself. This is one of the reasons that I memorized 1 John 4:16 last time. I need to replace this lie with the truth that I only need to rely on God's love to feel good about myself. This is a constant battle.

Chrsitna Saelzler said...

Hello Ladies,
So sorry that I haven't been posting. I'm excited to be back with you on this journey. Thank you for the encouragement to not give up:)

1. My verse: "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

2. This verse is speaking into my life right now. I love how giving thanks in all circumstances produces an unspeakable joy. I read something this week about joy that encouraged me. "Joy is the quiet, confident assurance of God's love and work in our lives-that he will be there no matter what. Happiness depends on happenings, but joy depends on Christ." I am sitting in this truth right now.

3. A lie that I'm battling right now is that I've got to figure it all out. That resting and trusting in Jesus is not enough. May I not lean on my own understanding but trust in the Lord with all my heart.

Debbie Oliver said...

1. "The Lord will rescue me from every evil deed and bring me safely into his heavenly kingdom. To him be the glory forever and ever. Amen." 2 Timothy 4:18

2. I chose this because I have had a lot of bad things happen to me over the years, and likewise I am struggling through a few things at the current time that would easily break most people. I want to keep my mind and heart focused on the fact that He will rescue me from everything and that I will be safe, whole, and healthy with Him and Him alone.

3. A lie that I always tell myself and buy into is that I am just never good enough. Never smart enough, never pretty enough, never special enough, not worthy of love, faithfulness and happiness. However, this is because I must not be giving my full self over to the Lord. If I was, I would know He is the only thing that can show me that I am all of those things and that I am beautiful and special in a way that I believe it...and that the things of this earth should not be a resource to feel or think a certain way about myself...I should gain those feelings and thoughts from His knowledge and love alone. I am steadily working on that lie daily.

Anonymous said...

1. "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." - Philippians 2:3

2. I chose this verse because I have been struggling with a relationship with a family member right now. She is being unkind and showing hostility and I don't know why. I try to remind myself not to be bitter or think ill thoughts of her, but instead treat her with Christ's love. I need to put her before myself. I need to love my neighbor as myself like the bible calls us to do.

3. A lie I often believe is that some people don't like me. I know the issues I have with my family member bring that lie out even more. Although at times I let this lie take over, I know that deep down it probably has nothing to do with me and it has something to do with what she is struggling with herself. I am 100% harmonizer and that means I am a big people pleaser, so when someone appears to not like me, it is very hard. I need to realize that God loves me unconditionally and that's all that matters. Loving her unconditionally is the best thing I could do right now.

<3, Mandy

Ps. Yvonne- It was great to meet you at the wedding too!

Yvonne said...

1. Psalm 84:3-4 NIV
Even the sparrow has found a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may have her young- a place near your altar, O LORD Almighty, my King and my God. Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you.
2. I love Psalm 84, and I only know parts of it, so am excited for the LORD to implant all of it in my and change me!
3. At times I believe that I am Yvonne the Most High, because I think I am in control of a situation or I want to be in control. In a moment I have the choice to believe the Lord is Most High, even in the "small" things (which sometimes feel bigger than the big things to me), like when I walk around the house and find doors and cupboards open, that I think should be closed. What is my first response? Do I sigh hoping that the fam will do things how I want or is my first though, "what a great opportunity to show grace and serve my family"? My prayer, LORD, sanctify my first responses, may my heart rest in Your Sovereignty that You knew the cupboards and doors would be opened and I would have a chance to rest in Your presence and power in all things!

Anonymous said...

1.“What is man that you make so much of him, that you give him so much attention, that you examine him every morning and test him every moment?” Job 7:17-18).

2. I chose this verse because I am in awe of His love for me/us. Who am I that He cares for me/us and wanted me/us so badly He gave His son for me/us? Who am I that He keeps forgiving my endless falls and lets me/us start new every day?

3. I think the lie I hear in my head so often is that if I don't feel His presence every single moment of every breath I take,He has left me. I know this is not true...that we are to trust what we know to be true and not what we feel.....but I find it so hard not to feel His presence and think things are ok with Him still.

agarifo said...

1. Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up thier cross and follow me." Matt 16:24 NIV

2. I chose this verse because it is the beginning of 3 verses that I want to learn together. I am currently learning to lay down what it is that I desire and be ok with that.

3. A lie that my enemy has repeatedly used against me is that I am not worth it. "It" being anything, you fill in the blank. He just manages to wispher, "oh amy, that is happening because you are not worth it, and you are not enough."

Stacia said...

1. "In the same way, let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16, NIV

2. I chose this verse because I was drawn to the Beatitudes and after those verses it talks about the salt and light. That just sums it up right there....is my life, what I say and do, point towards Christ? I may think I'm living the way I should, but it's not me, but He who lives in me.

3. Wow, talk about a deep question that I had to do some honest thinking. The lie I live most often actually relates to my verse this week. The lie is: I'm doing good, I'm a good person, I help others.....and the list goes on and on. Coincidence? I don't think so! Jesus is trying to help me grow and recognize that anything good in me comes from Him. I can't just be a good person because I think I am, but I need his light, his forgiveness, his redemption, grace and mercy if I am to live each day. I need to seek Him, live it out and then remember to praise Him for working in me.

Amber Donat said...

1. I can do ALL things through Christ who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13
2. I chose this simply because I love the verse.
3. A lie would be that I'm not pretty, or that people dont like me.